Screen printing and Direct to garment printing have a number of unique uses which will either compliment or hinder your T shirt printing objectives. We’re going to summarise the benefits of Screen Printing and Direct to Garment Printing with an aim to help you identify the process which is right for you or your t shirt printing business. To keep things simple: Disadvantages of each method are not listed, but are inferred by the advantages of the opposing method.
Advantages of DTG (Direct to Garment) Digital T-shirt Printing.
This is the most commonly used printing method in T shirt printing businesses. A t-shirt image design is printed onto a special paper then heat bonded onto the t shirt.
– Your level of detail and color range is only limited by your printer.
– There’s very little equipment overhead or maintenance routine.
– Once you are comfortable with the process, very little can go wrong.
– From custom design to a t-shirt in under an hour with easy prototyping.
– DTG is best suited to custom t-shirt design and one-off’s but is also suitable for midsized print runs.
Advantages of Screen Printing
Screen printing, also known as silk screen printing or serigraphy, involves the creation of a design stencil and literal imprinting of inks into the t-shirt fabric. It is the most widely used form of printing in brand fashion and other areas.
– Ink is absorbed by the fabric rather than bonding with the surface.
– Screen printing can accommodate any size design, possibly covering the whole shirt.
– Ideal for bulk printing, price per t-shirt screen print continues to fall during production.
– An higher quality feel and appearance overall.
This should give you some idea of the benefits and disadvantages each t-shirt printing method might hold for your business. As a general rule of thumb, consider setting up a T-shirt screen printing production line only if you are seeking have high quality and quantity, otherwise digital direct to garment printing will be a cheaper and simpler option.
Joel J Taylor is the owner and operator of PSI Screenprinting, a successful Australian web based T-shirt Printing company specialising in Screen Printing and Direct to Garment Digital T shirt Printing
I had some tradmarked work done on some T shirts, Will the screen printing company give me the screens?
I had a local Screen Printing company Make me 4 different shirt designs, after they print them can I take the sceens with me. I had the designs trademarked and wanted to have a different company do the next batch for me, I paid for the design and set up of each screen so It seem like I should be able to take them?
No. Not usually. No. You own the rights to the image on the screens, but they own the screens themselves. They own the actual materials, plus the labor required to produce them.
Screen printing multiple color print 1 for silk screening
[affmage source=”ebay” results=”15″]Screen Printing[/affmage] [affmage source=”amazon” results=”10″]Screen Printing[/affmage] [affmage source=”cj” results=”5″]Screen Printing[/affmage] [affmage source=”clickbank” results=”5″]Screen Printing[/affmage]